Tuesday, August 28, 2012

WII U Thoughts

Wii U   

    There has been nothing on the Xbox 720 or the Playstation 4.  That wouldn't slow down Nintendo for their new console, the Wii U.  Nintendo is going to be hosting a Wii U Press Event in September to reveal more about its console.  Maybe on the release date and the price the Wii will be sold at.

     Even though there have been no confirmed dates for release, there have been rumors going around the internet about a mid-november release date of 2012.  Nintendo's past consoles the Gamecube and the Wii arrived in North America on November 18 and 19 respectively, so some consider this a good bet on the rumors, but maybe we will find out in a few weeks if the date is true.

     I'm just going to give a quick look at the design and specs of the system, and then I will give my thoughts on the new Nintendo console

Looks
     While the console itself looks like a more modern look from the Wii, slimmer and doesn't have the cubed look that the Wii had.  Obviously not the big change the Wii U has made, it is the gamepad design. 
  1.      The screen is touch screen, using either fingers or the Stylus.
  2.      The gamepad is used as either a second screen within the game (accessing extra maps, equipment, other things while playing), or a second screen while the TV is in use
  3.      The design has the look of a tablet and portable gaming device (like a PSP and 3DS)
  4.      Has a built in a camera and microphone on the gamepad
  5.      A Power Button, and a TV remote button to control things like volume and other things on TV from the gamepad, whether playing a game or not
Wii U Tech Specs
Size
     The console is approximately 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long
Weight
     Approximately 3.41 Pounds
GPU
     AMD Radeon - based High Definition GPU
CPU
     IBM Power - based multi-core processor
Backwards compatibility with Wii games
Wii Compatibility
     Nearly all the software and accessories can be used with the Wii U
I've already discussed the gamepad design and specs above

My thoughts on the entire system
     I'm not a big fan of specs, because you can make any system sound good on paper, but the question is will it be able to run like you say it will.
     Will the game play be as enjoyable with the extra screen from the Wii U gamepad?
    
     My biggest concern is while it looks like it can run at high definition games that can look like the ps3 or xbox 360, with the lineup I'm not too enthusiastic about the HD games to be released because the ones coming out about the time the Wii U does are games that have had their run on the Xbox 360 and PS3 (Like Batman Arkham City and Mass Effect 3)
     While great games in my view, they are the same game with the extra screen to use as a map or extra inventory type spaces, doesn't seem to be anything new or breaking ground that seems to jump out at me to say "Damn, I can't wait to play this"
      I feel like if I do end up getting one, it will be because the Xbox or the Playstation are probably still a couple of years away before a new console release, while the Wii U comes out in 2012. 

     If you ask me it is a good strategy by Nintendo, with the console release in 2012 they will not be competing with a new xbox or playstation, which can give them good sales of the console with no direct competition

    While it does sound like a cool concept, I feel like if I wanted to play games from an extra screen they could have just updated the console for hd graphics to put out, and make an App for Ipod, Iphone or Android to be released to be able to play with the games.
     I just don't feel there is the need for an entire new system and this love child controller of a 3DS, PSP, and a Tablet. 

Conclusion
     While from the announcement of the Wii U I have not find myself eager to see it hit the shelves.  But I will admit I was very pessimistic against the Wii also, I didn't like the idea of having to hold tv remote type controller to play games, but the games were very enjoyable (at least with friends for most part)
     So we will see, maybe this one will look as ridiculous as the Wii did, but it may be as enjoyable as the Wii was.  A console made to be played with friends and have a good time, maybe it can stand more to be played solo than it's predecessor, or maybe it is a lot of hype into a system that will just not be new and intriguing enough to have a long life span.

     I love gaming, I have a Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PSP Vita, so I hope I am wrong about this system and I'm just worrying too much about how the game play will actually fair with this gamepad idea.  I want to see this be a good system, enjoyable for all ages for doing the games that Nintendo does best (like Mario of course) and delivering new ideas that only work to their advantage.  As they almost always have

     So here's hoping to you Nintendo, and you deliver on what the Wii U will be set to do, and continue to be in the gaming industry for many years to come (if not always)

No comments:

Post a Comment